Classes began yesterday after a week of Intensive Czech (4 hours/day learning the language) and I finally feel like I have a solid routine. As much as I'm not looking forward to the workload, I'm glad to be able to plan my days and have a schedule. We have a great little grocery store a block away so I've been experimenting with different ingredients when I have time. I'm most proud of my baked ziti, mashed potatoes, and banana pudding recipes.
St. Nicholas
Last Thursday (the 29th), we enjoyed a guided tour from a native Praguer. With such a busy first week, it was really the first chance I'd had to see much of the city, beyond my street. We walked through historic Old Town, across the Charles Bridge, through the Church of St. Nicholas and up hundreds of steps to Prague Castle. It was truly a remarkable experience.
Zuzana!
On Saturday, our Czech buddy Zuzana invited us to go out with her friends. We went to this great bar/club with a live band that only played covers of old-ish American songs. Everyone was singing along and dancing, and between sets the ceiling would literally slide away to reveal the stars and a refreshing breeze.
Pilsner cellar
On Sunday, I took a bus trip with my roommate Andrea and fellow AU student Emma to Plzen, the town where Pilsner Urquell was first brewed. We toured the factory and saw thousands of recycled bottles running along a conveyor belt to be sterilized and learned about the brewing process (actually quite fascinating). At the end of the tour, we were lead into the decades-old underground cellars where beer is left to ferment in massive barrels for up to 5 weeks and there we sampled some delicious unfiltered beer (which they can't market since it doesn't keep for longer than 2 weeks). It was fun to learn about the origins of Prague's most popular beverage, and explore the 100-year-old factory.
As I mentioned, classes began yesterday. While I'm here, I'll be taking my Czech language class, a Czech history class, two photography classes, and an Art and Architecture history class. I've met and love all of my professors (especially the photo one), and am looking forward to what the rest of the semester holds! Every student has Fridays off, but I'm lucky to also have Wednesdays off. Later in the semester, this will allow me to spend time in the dark room developing and printing photos. Tomorrow, however, with no work to do, I plan to go out on my own (for the first time) and explore some of Old Town. First of all, it's easily the most beautiful section of Prague, second of all, I heard about some great vintage shops I want to check out, and third of all, I want to visit the open air market and browse the fresh produce, hand crafts, and candy!
Historic Old Town
Missing everyone at home!
lovelovelove,
Keen
Hi Keen - great to hear that you've started and seem to enjoy all of your classes! It is a snowy Tuesday afternoon here. Laur told me you had some Skype time with Little Sir yesterday - he sees you more than we do! I guess you've heard the Super Bowl results - Mom was yelling and screaming as the Cardinals came from 17 points down to take the lead (she was routing for them because a) her Dad loved the Cardinals and b) Kurt Warner's so cute) only to be upset by Pittsburgh's remarkable last minute touchdown drive to win the game. The ad's were okay. Anyway, keep sending the terrific photo's and introducing us to the Czech language phrase by phrase.
ReplyDeletelove you,
best bud,
Dad